Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Training Update for HOF & Cleveland Marathons

I've been in a bit of a running slump since the Austin Marathon a few weeks ago. Recovery is hard, especially in winter because the weather stinks and I am beyond sick of the treadmill. Yes, I use the treadmill a lot because I run early am before work and at lunch at my gym most days. Occasionally I get in an outdoor evening run. With daylight savings time this weekend I expect to have more of those after work runs. I run outside on weekends as much as I can. The highlight of last week's training was hitting the trails in North Chagrin Reservation!

With my running volume lower between 25-40 miles since the race, I have been on the bike trainer a good bit to cross train. This increase in bike mileage led to my IT band becoming irritated last week so I did not run the Mill Creek half as I had hoped. I did not want to force an injury. This week I am feeling better and almost back to my normal self. I should hit about 48 miles this week including running the Shamrock 15k race in Akron on Sunday. I'm not sure how the race will go but I figure it will at least be some speedwork, which I need if I am going to have a shot at a BQ this spring.

After this week I have about 3 weeks of training to get in before I head over to Switzerland for a work trip for the first week in April. I do not anticipate having much time to train while I am away. My plan is to get in a couple short runs and some core work and use this week as rest/recovery, which is probably needed anyways leading into HOF later in the month. I am not sure how I will fare at HOF but the Cleveland Marathon is 3 weeks later, which is ideal for me. With the new course in Cleveland I may have a shot at a good race. Also, I think we are due for some nice, mild weather (fingers crossed for 50 and partly sunny).

Special shout out to PowerBar for the box of goodies they sent me this week! I am looking forward to trying their new stuff. Hoping to be back on Team Elite next season!

Watch next week for my Shamrock 15K race report! It looks like it will be a cold one. I don't about you guys but I am ready for spring! Also watch for a post about the new PowerBar products I'm trying out in the coming weeks.



This week's mantra!

No comments:

Post a Comment