Monday, October 16, 2017

Permission to Just Run - Working Through a Slump

Last weekend I blew off a race. I had really wanted to run it to support my friend who is the race director and to see all the friendly faces of people I like to see at races and to cheer for my husband that was running the race too. But I did not show up. I stayed in bed and drank my coffee. I made myself breakfast and took my time heading out the door for a fun workout without any expectations except to enjoy myself.  To just be able to enjoy a Saturday at my own pace. And my body is thanking for me it today. I have fought through an auto immune flare up since July and my left hip/SI joint has been aggravated for a couple of months as well. I think I earned the break. Plus I have beat myself up emotionally this year. I have allowed myself to feel like a failure as an athlete. I don't feel as fast or as strong as I was a year or two ago and it's frustrating and depressing that sometimes my body will not allow me to push my limits as much as I want to.

When I first headed to the Towpath Saturday I reluctantly made myself run even though I really just wanted to bike. At times running can feel like a chore these days. But I gave it a go. No expectations. I started and ended when I wanted. I went from feeling sorry for myself when I started to feeling blessed that I could even still run. I was reminded that I sill love running - I just need to allow myself to come back to my stride when the time is right. I gave myself permission to just run. Maybe this is what I need to do for a little while. Nothing too long and not any harder than I think I can handle. If I feel like pushing myself physically I will and if not I can just run my remaining races for fun or sit them out. That's the beauty of being an amateur. The only expectations I have to meet are my own. Although my expectations can be pretty intense. I need to learn to listen to my body and to take time off when it's needed. Maybe then I will not wind up in a running slump.

Have you ever been in a running slump? If so, what was it and how did you work through it?


1 comment:

  1. I get into a slump after a major accomplishment, like an Ironman or something where I have to take some recovery time. Same thing recovering from an injury. Take the time to make it fun again, then it will be fun again.

    ReplyDelete