Friday, October 27, 2017

Want to Run Faster Again? Me too!

If you read my last blog post you already know that I've been in a little running slump. For a couple of months things just haven't been easy for me and running. I've had some okay days and some crappy days. I ran an okay 9 miler in early Sept and was hoping for a good marathon Oct 1 but with hip/low back issues with my left side I was forced to back off and just finish that one as a training run. Then I sat out my planned trail 25K/50K. I just didn't have it in me to do it. When a last minute free 5K entry came along for the Beechbrook 5K I just signed up without even really thinking about it. I decided not to take myself too seriously. I figured it would be a small, low-key race and I could just run my hardest and force myself to get in some "speed work". This plan worked out well for me.

My husband Steve was also racing so we arrived early to get our packets and did a mile warm up followed by a few quick strides. The weather was pretty mild so I just raced in shorts and my Snakebite Racing singlet. I wasn't sure how it was going to go but that almost made it more fun. When the race started I just ran hard. Not overly hard to the point where I thought I was going to die just hard enough to feel the burn in my lungs, about a 6:40 mile. Mile two was in the low 7s and then I was able to run about a 7 flat for the last mile coming in at 21:43 (6:59 pace). Usually I am between 21-22 so this is good time for me right now. Last year when I felt a little faster I ran a 21:06 and a 21:09 about (6:48-6:50 pace).

With it being a small race I was able to win and take home a $25 fleet feet gift card. My friend and fellow Cleveland Marathon ambassador Stephanie came in second place so that was fun with us both doing well. Steve had a great race until the end he was in the lead and finished with a 19:01, good for 1st in AG, 4th male. Last year he ran an 18:05 as his fastest time so he is about 45-60 secs off his goal.

Steve and I have decided to include some more short stuff next year and work on our speed again versus just taking on long distance all the time. I'd like to run a 5K time of at least 20:45 next season and I think I can get there with some work. Steve would like to run a sub 18 and I think he can do that as well. This will be a fun challenge. For now I am focusing on getting healthy and strong and seeing what I can accomplish with 13.1 and under for the rest of the year.

So, if you find yourself in a running slump like I did - maybe the answer is really just to pick a shorter race and just limit your expectations and see what you can do. You might just surprise yourself!

Post race with the hubby and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment