Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Buzzard Day 25K Trail Race & Training Update

Last weekend I made a last minute decision to run the Buzzard Day 25K at Hinckley Reservation. My long runs have been boring and uninspiring and I just wanted a change and wanted to support local race director Roy Heger so the hubby and I went to packet pick-up Friday after work and signed up. After a pre-race IPA we headed home to make dinner and get our race day stuff ready including the race day outfit! I picked out my Skirt Sports Redemption Capris and I also ran in my new Skirt Sports Super Girl tank albeit underneath two other shirts and arm-warmers and my sweet new trucker hat.

On race morning we got to Hinckley Reservation around 9am and since the 25K start is at 10am we had plenty of time to catch up with friends, get warmed up, etc. It ended up being pretty cold around the start like 25 degrees so I was glad I had brought arm warmers and extra layer shirt because I definitely needed it. We took off into a field to head into the trails and my eyes were watery and breathing a little strained from the cold but just for a mile or two. I took off around an 8-8:30 pace, which was comfortable - slowing down for hills, icy patches and other obstructions like trees.

I have not been trail running as much as I should be so I almost forgot how fun it is as compared to just hammering it out on the roads. I do like that too but this race made me remember why I fell in love with trail running. All the twists and turns and climbs and jumps and beauty of nature coupled with the exhiliration of running in the woods with a couple hundred other people and making friends along the way.

The first half went pretty smooth except I came to a section with signs pointing both directions and took the wrong turn, which added about a half mile to my day. I came into the first aid station and they told me I was first female but I didn't think much of it because in a longer race and especially on trails anything can happen. I've had some races where I faded at the end but fortunately this was not one of them! I felt strong throughout and the last few miles were not too bad for me. 

Post race with trophy in my Skirt Sports Hat & Capris
I loved the course! It was a mix of single track, bridle trails, grass and pavement so it was never boring and I enjoyed running the asphalt sections too because I was able to make up some time there. The last mile seemed to go on and on and there was a steep little climb right before the end but I was excited to see the finish with Steve and my fellow Cleveland Marathon Ambassador Eric Geyer cheering for me! Then of course I got to say thanks to my friend Rich who was doing the timing. Roy gave me a trophy for first female and Sydney brought me some hard-earned ramon noodles, which tasted very good after 16.5 miles of running! My time of 2:40 was an average of around 9:40 I think. I should have been about 2:35 or so without the bonus half mile so I'm happy with the effort. It was definitely not another boring long run!

Later on that afternoon we met up with my friend and fellow Cleveland Marathon ambassador Stephanie Itibrout for post race St Pat's day beers and dinner. It was an awesome St. Patrick's Day!

Steph celebrating with me at Ray's Place in Fairlawn
I ended the week with 38 miles of running, 45 miles of cycling and two core workouts so it wasn't a big week for me volume wise and I think that helped my effort.

I opted for cycling on Sunday along with a recovery walk with the dogs and I also rode the bike yesterday. I did a short 3-mile recovery run this morning and an hour bike at lunch. I hope to start kicking the run mileage back up tomorrow. I am signed up for a 10K this weekend but I am not sure if I'll race it or not. Will see how I feel plus I think i need to focus on mileage more then speed this week. If I'm lucky I will get in a shorter long run Thurs or Fri and be able to race Sunday. Either way I'm getting excited because spring races are here and it's only 60 days until the Cleveland Marathon! If you haven't signed up yet feel free to use code PMCLE10 to save 10% off your registration. Oh and if you want to try anything from Skirt Sports you can use code 588McGo to save 15% off any regular priced items.






No comments:

Post a Comment