Monday, March 12, 2018

My road to running - and why I keep running

People start running for a variety of reasons. Some do it to lose weight, to get back into shape after having a child, to be healthier, to relieve stress, to make friends, to set and achieve goals, etc. For me it was sort of a mash-up of most of these reasons.

I ran track in middle and high school (800m, 1 mile relay, etc) but never enjoyed distance running. It was more of a social thing and a way to be involved with sports. Since I had my daughter when I was 17 I didn't have the chance to run track or cross country in college and some bad habits took over - namely smoking. Yep, I know it's gross but I was a smoker for a while. I also ate poorly (think way too much fast food) and probably drank too much too (think college bars). So, in my mid twenties I was not the picture of health that it might seem like I am today. I was out of shape and not living the best lifestyle and was not as much of a role model for my little girl as I wanted to be so I decided to make some lifestyle changes.

On Mother's Day in 2005 when my daughter was 9 years old I quit smoking - cold turkey. I never looked back. But I did gain a little weight and that motivated me to hit the gym and start running. I  remember trying to run down my street in my old neighborhood and I could not make it very far (even a quarter of a mile) without wheezing and feeling tired. Soon I was up to a mile. Then a couple miles and I decided to sign up for a local 5K in Austintown OH. I remember it being hard to run the whole race and I think I had to take a couple unofficial walk breaks to get through it but I did it and not too poorly. I think I finished in maybe 28 minutes.

That 5K race was the start of a different kind of addiction for me - a healthy one. And one that I still have today! That little race multiplied into many more 5ks, then a 10K, then a half marathon, marathon, sprint triathlon, Ironman, 100 mile ultramarathon...countless races in the dozen or so years that I've been racing.

Why do I continue to run day after day, year after year? Here are some of the things that keep me motivated to keep running:

  • Running has become a part of who I am. I am not just a runner but running is one of the things that I think defines me in part. 
  • I met my husband through running and we have become training partners in the sport as well as life and he of course helps keep me motivated!
  • I love setting running goals and working towards them and of course achieving them! 
  • I like meeting other runners and seeing them at races and training runs. Running friends are the best! And this year I have a ton of new running sisters thanks to becoming a Skirt Sports ambassador!
  • I like feeling healthy and strong and capable of pushing myself to be faster - even as I grow older. 
  • Running is always there for me on the good days, the bad days and the mediocre days that just float by. 
  • Running reminds me that I am strong mentally and physically and that I am free. I define my own plan, my own goals, my own limits
  • Running helps me set a good example for my daughter, stepkids and other family and friends.
  • After a race I like to reward myself with a good craft beer and I feel like I have done something healthy to earn it!
Why do you run? And what keeps you going on the days when your motivation is running low?

2017 -Finishing my first 100 Mile Ultra with my hubby crewing!


2016 - My first Boston Marathon w/ Skirt Sports Ambassadors Siobhan & Jen


2015 - Running my first BQ & Marathon PR at Erie Marathon

2014 - Finishing my first full Ironman distance triathlon at Rev3 Cedar Point


2010 - First official date with my hubby at the Perfect 10 Miler race

2010 - My first marathon finish at Cleveland Marathon - daughter cheering



2008 - My first overall podium in a race with a 22:30 5K was 2nd place

No comments:

Post a Comment