Monday, March 26, 2018

Pam Versus 100 Miles Part 2 and Training Update

Ever since last year's 100 mile race I have had mixed feelings on attempting another go at it. In the few weeks after my finish last year I wanted to do it again. I think I was riding the high of the finish. Then a few weeks later I decided that I needed to take a year off of such a big race. Maybe get back into triathlon - race a half or maybe even another full iron distance. And then I changed my mind again. And again. And well you get it.

Training for a full ironman is also a large time commitment and when I started to weigh it out I realized that I have some unfinished business with the 100 miler. Sure, I finished last year but not under ideal conditions. I know I can run a better 100 if I am healthy! I'd like to break 24 hours at least and on the Towpath I am sure that I can do that if I have a good day. So I took the plunge this weekend and I signed up once again for the Canal Corridor 100. Why? Because I loved this race and I want to give it another go and see if I can do a little better this year. My priority will be to train smart and take good care of my body so I can hopefully arrive at the start this year healthy and ready for a good race.

As for triathlon, I'm still getting back to multisport this year...just taking my time getting there. I plan to maybe race Vermillion in mid August if I am ready and definitely Portage Lakes in September. And I may attempt my first stand alone bike tt if it works into the schedule and cyclocross race. I plan on logging more bike miles this season and less overall running miles and I will continue to swim and lift as well. I think it's important to cross train - not only is it better physically but I also think it's better mentally for most people.

Digging the new tee!
Last week I had a decent training week. I got in 48.5 run miles, 68 on the bike and a few core workouts. I finished my first 20 mile run of the training cycle yesterday and overall feel pretty good today. I am cycling today between 25-30 miles easy as my recovery. This week I will plan to get in around 50-55 miles of running with a solid amount of cycling and some lifting. April is going to be an intense month of racing with a half marathon on the 8th, a 20 miler on the 15th and HOF Marathon on the 29th. I then will have a few weeks to freshen up a bit for the Cleveland Marathon and then really get into the core 100 mile training! It won't be easy - but nothing good ever is!

It was nice to see my fellow Cleveland Marathon Ambassadors Saturday at Sarah's Vineyard. We had a nice little meetup and got our 2018 ambassador shirts and goodies. I'm excited to think of running in warm weather after the crappy winter we've had! Have you signed up yet? If not use code PMCLE10 and save 10% off your registration!
Cleve Marathon Ambassadors with Race staff at Sarah's Vineyard




2 comments: